New physical sciences for biology and healthcare
The synergies between physical sciences, biology and healthcare have long been recognised as exciting interfaces for research. The priorities for this theme are:
- New physical sciences (physics, chemistry and materials) that contributes to or underpins developments in healthcare technologies or understanding and using biology
- Should have links to relevant current investments of other research councils, Wellcome Trust and NHS
- The remit and challenges that the centre aims to address must fall with the majority in physical sciences
- This area should have strong links with industry. Possible relevant industries include biotechnology, pharmaceutical, personal care and consumer products, food and agrochemicals
- Proposals could cover distinct research areas within this priority.
This could provide an opportunity to continue the promotion of a change in culture at these interfaces, by nurturing the next generation of researchers to develop the skills and experience required to explore new physical sciences for biology and healthcare, without the perceived cultural and language barriers.