Healthcare Technologies and Fellowships
Applications for fellowships are not invited at the postdoctoral or early career stage. From 2016, support for the early career stage has been through the Healthcare Technologies Challenge Awards (HTCAs). There is no call for HTCAs in 2018, but the scope for future calls will be kept under review. Note that all calls for proposals can be found in the Calls section of this website.
For more information please see the Healthcare Technologies Developing Leadership Strategy.
Healthcare Technologies Established Career Fellowships
EPSRC is now inviting established career fellowships where the research programme is from any area of EPSRC and aligns with one or more of the Healthcare Technologies Grand Challenges (see EPSRC's Healthcare Technologies strategy (PDF)):
- Developing Future Therapies: Supporting the development of novel therapies with technologies to enhance efficacy, minimise costs and reduce risk to patients.
- Frontiers of Physical Intervention: Restoring function, and optimising surgery and other physical interventions to achieve high precision with minimal invasiveness.
- Optimising Treatment: Optimising care through effective diagnosis, patient-specific prediction and evidence-based intervention.
- Transforming Community Health and Care: Using real-time information to support self-management of health and wellbeing, and to facilitate timely interventions.
The assessment process for these fellowships involves a pre-application stage as described in the peer review process below. Fellowship applications will not be accepted unless this pre-application stage is successful.
Peer review Process
1. Pre-application stage
EPSRC's Established Career Fellowships in Healthcare Technologies have a pre-application stage. This will allow EPSRC to actively manage demand and ensure that applications align to both the fellowship scheme and HT theme fellowship priorities, as articulated in the Grand Challenges (also including the relevant Research Area strategies).
Potential established career fellowship applicants to the HT theme must contact the HT Fellowship Contact (see fellowship contacts page). At the pre-application stage, EPSRC will establish how prospective applicants meet the established career attributes described in the fellowship person specification and how the proposed research relates to EPSRC's Healthcare Technologies portfolio, Grand Challenge strategy and related Research Area strategies. Some applicants will not be invited to progress to the next stage.
As part of this pre-application stage applicants will need to provide evidence that they meet the attributes by completing a Microsoft Word document of up to two pages under the following headings:
- Research excellence :
- A track record of outstanding research and in delivering impact. Evidence of international standing and influence in the context of the research and evidence of recognition in the community on an international scale.
- Evidence that the proposed research is aligned to EPSRC strategic priorities
- Setting the research agenda:
- Demonstration of leadership within the research community and evidence of pushing the boundaries of the research area.
- Strategic Vision:
- A brief description of the research vision and how it will address the HT strategy (the vision may cross more than one grand challenge or more than one cross-cutting capability).
- How the research fits with and complements other UK research already funded in the area or related areas, including the relationship to the EPSRC portfolio, our Research Area strategies and EPSRC's Delivery Plan.
- An aptitude for identifying, exploring and developing research opportunities more broadly and across different interfaces. Example(s) of positioning yourself to take up these opportunities and the ability to make decisions to deliver the vision.
- Profile and Influence
- Evidence of acting as an ambassador and advocate for a research field/theme and for research in general.
- Inspirational Team leader
- Ability to lead and inspire. Ability to identify and maximise potential in others (or get the best out of people)
- Communication and engagement skills
- Excellent communications and interpersonal skills.
- Why an Established Career Fellowship
- Please outline why you feel an established career fellowship is the most appropriate route for you at this time.
Any applicant considering applying for equipment should refer to the equipment webpages. Where a single capital item costs more than the OJEU limit this must be discussed with EPSRC at this stage.
2. Full Proposal stage
Full proposals for Healthcare Technologies established career fellowships will only be considered if they have been invited in writing (email) after completion of the pre-application stage described above. The invitation should be referenced in a covering letter. EPSRC will office reject any applications that have not been through this stage.