Fellowship Scheme updates:
The following webpages relating to fellowships were restructured and updated in October 2019. These updates included the following changes to the previously published information:
- The person specification has been removed and replaced with a statement setting out the expected aims and outcomes of the fellowship for each career stage;
- The assessment criteria have been separated, with 5 covered at prioritisation panel (matching those covered on standard mode proposals) and 4 at the interview stage (which have been rearticulated from the previous assessment criteria for clarity on requirements).
- Full details are included within the downloadable Fellowships Application Guide.
The EPSRC Fellowship aims to provide greater support to aspiring and current world-leading individuals who are delivering the highest quality research to meet UK and global priorities. By linking to our strategic priorities and focusing on areas where growth is required, EPSRC Fellowships develop researchers with the greatest potential across the postdoctoral, early and established career stages.
An EPSRC Fellowship offers a unique package of support, flexibility and freedom for individuals to develop their research ideas and outputs.
EPSRC's Capability and Challenge themes regularly review and prioritise the areas in which Fellowships will be offered. This is an ongoing process and will be updated on a regular basis throughout the Delivery Plan period.
Across all themes, Digital Economy, Energy, Engineering priority areas, Healthcare Technologies and Fellowships …
It is expected that eligible Research Organisations who wish to submit fellowship applications to EPSRC will identify a number of suitable applicants as specified by the guidelines and within the defined research area and career stage.
Research Organisations are expected to:
- Ensure that proposals are aligned to a fellowship priority area;
- Assist applicants to identify how they fit to the aims and outcomes of their career stage;
- Ensure that applicants have selected the most appropriate resource packages for their career stage and intended project.
The EPSRC Fellowship offers a high degree of support for flexible working and for the individual’s own career goals.
This section gives details of how to manage your time during your Fellowship, including your responsibilities and those of your host organisation. The pages also link to information on transferring or moving your Fellowship, applying for other EPSRC funding, and extending or pausing your Fellowship.
EPSRC occasionally offers Fellowships in partnership with external organisations, or with partner Research Councils across UKRI. Please note that these Fellowships may have different application and review requirements and processes. EPSRC Fellowship calls can be found on the EPSRC Calls Page. UKRI Fellowship calls can be found on the UKRI Calls Page.
EPSRC recognises the need for inspirational scientists and engineers to lead excellent research and therefore we invest in people with leadership potential at all career stages. The fellows gallery exhibits the profiles of some of our current fellows, information on their research and how the Fellowship has influenced their career.
For general and theme-specific fellowship queries, please see our list of contacts. Alternatively, you can contact the People & Fellowships Team directly at: ResearchCareers@epsrc.ukri.org.