Location of facility
SciTech Daresbury Campus
Capabilities and services provided
SuperSTEM is an internationally-renowned electron microscopy user facility, which acts as a focal point for driving forward developments in scanning transmission electron microscopy in the Physical Sciences, both in the UK and internationally.
The facility provides a world leading capability for the direct imaging of atomic structures as well as elemental composition and chemical and bonding analysis in thin samples down to single atom levels. As such it supports the elucidation of structure-property relationships in advanced materials and devices for the benefit of the user community.
SuperSTEM has gathered a team of world-leading experts in the field of scanning transmission electron microscopy and energy loss spectroscopy who, in addition to developing their own research programmes, are dedicated to assisting facility users and collaborators with their projects.
The main facility instruments are optimised for studies requiring single-atom precision and sensitivity:
- UltraSTEM100 microscope (40-100kV operation, EELS, EDXS, muti-mode imaging)
- UltraSTEM100MC microscope (40-100kV operation, EELS at ultimate 10meV energy resolution, multi-mode imaging)
Further details on additional capabilities and services provided are available on the facility’s website.
Contact for access
Director: Prof. Quentin Ramasse, firstname.lastname@example.org
General enquiries: email@example.com
Instructions for access: http://www.superstem.org/access
Proposals for access are reviewed on a rolling basis with no specific call (an evaluation of all received proposals is carried out approximately every six weeks). Prospective users are strongly encouraged to contact facility staff prior to submitting a proposal to discuss the feasibility of their project and the appropriateness of the equipment for their work.
Research Areas aligned to facility
- Analytical science
- Biomaterials and tissue engineering
- Biophysics and soft matter physics
- Carbon capture and storage
- Chemical biology and biological chemistry
- Chemical reaction dynamics and mechanisms
- Chemical structure
- Computational and theoretical chemistry
- Condensed matter: electronic structure
- Condensed matter: magnetism and magnetic materials
- Electrochemical sciences
- Energy storage
- Engineering design
- Fuel cell technology
- Functional ceramics and inorganics
- Graphene and carbon nanotechnology
- Hydrogen and alternative energy vectors
- Light matter interaction and optical phenomena
- Materials engineering - ceramics
- Materials engineering - composites
- Materials engineering - metals and alloys
- Materials for energy applications
- Photonic materials
- Polymer materials
- Solar technology
- Surface science
- Synthetic coordination chemistry
- Synthetic organic chemistry
- Synthetic supramolecular chemistry
You must select the video player for these keys to function.
|Spacebar||Play/Pause when the seek bar is selected. Activate a button if a button has focus.|
|Play/Pause Media Key on keyboards||Play / Pause.|
|K||Pause/Play in player.|
|Stop Media Key on keyboards||Stop.|
|Next Track Media Key on keyboards||Moves to the next track in a playlist.|
|Left/Right arrow on the seek bar||Seek backward/forward 5 seconds.|
|J||Seek backward 10 seconds in player.|
|L||Seek forward 10 seconds in player.|
|Home/End on the seek bar||Seek to the beginning/last seconds of the video.|
|Up/Down arrow on the seek bar||Increase/Decrease volume 5%.|
|Numbers 1 to 9 on the seek bar (not on the numeric pad)||Seek to the 10% to 90% of the video.
|Number 0 on the seek bar (not on the numeric pad)||Seek to the beginning of the video.
|Number 1 or Shift+1||Move between H1 headers.|
|/||Go to search box.|
|F||Activate full screen. If full screen mode is enabled, activate F again or press escape to exit full screen mode.|
|C||Activate closed captions and subtitles if available. To hide captions and subtitles, activate C again.|
|Shift+N||Move to the next video (If you are using a playlist, will go to the next video of the playlist. If not using a playlist, it will move to the next YouTube suggested video).|
|Shift+P||Move to the previous video. Note that this shortcut only works when you are using a playlist.|