Annual update of the Research Councils diversity data published
Supplementary content information
The third annual update of the Research Councils diversity data has been published by UK Research and Innovation.
For EPSRC the long-term strength of the UK research base depends on harnessing all the available talent. As a funder of research, we remain committed to attracting the best potential researchers from a diverse population into research careers.
EPSRC activities include:
- Working towards the equality and diversity target set by Council - of over 40 per cent of the membership from the under-represented gender for our Council and Strategic Advisory Network by 2020 and a 30 per cent target for the membership of the under-represented gender for our College and across all SATs by 2020
- Reviewing our own peer review processes to ensure they are consistent with our equality and diversity approach
- Delivering an unconscious bias training programme for staff, peer reviewers and strategic decision-makers to raise awareness, ensure fair and inclusive funding processes and reduce the impact of bias
- Undertaking discussions with universities to share data and understand successful interventions to feed into our future plans
- Working with partners to identify the most effective actions to bring about long-term change to develop a diverse research base in engineering and physical sciences
Dr Alison Wall, Associate Director for Building Leadership at EPSRC, said:
Tackling the challenge of equality, diversity and inclusion in the engineering and physical sciences research base is high on our agenda. Our Council has asked us to be bold with our interventions. We are embedding promotion of equality, diversity and inclusion in all that we do and we look forward to the new opportunities to continue and grow this work with our partners in UK Research and Innovation (UKRI).
Reference: PN 37-17