- Advancing laser technologies
Researchers funded by the Engineering and Physical Sciences Research Council (EPSRC) are driving innovations in semiconductor disk laser technology, combining physics and optical engineering techniques.
- Southampton shines as leading light in photonics industry
Decades of EPSRC support for pioneering work at the University of Southampton has been vital to drive a thriving photonics cluster in and around the city – a cluster crucial to the UK’s ability to punch above its weight in this here-and-now yet firmly future-focused sector.
- Flood water monitoring via mobile phones saving lives
A project funded by the Engineering and Physical Sciences Research Council (EPSRC) is providing real-time information on flooding in Mexico, using remote water sensing over cellular phone systems.
- Changing the face of therapeutic imaging and antibiotics
To celebrate International Women in Engineering day on 23 June 2021, we’ve put the spotlight on the work of Professor Eleanor Stride at the University of Oxford.
- Understanding and eliminating corrosion
bp and The University of Manchester are leading a project to better understand and eliminate corrosion, supported by the Engineering and Physical Sciences Research Council’s (EPSRC) Prosperity Partnership programme.
- Changing the world with ideas
Supported by an Engineering and Physical Sciences Research Council (EPSRC) Impact Acceleration Account, this startup accelerator is helping students and staff at the University of Southampton change the world with their ideas.
- New approaches to data science
A team of EPSRC-funded mathematicians, statisticians and computer scientists are driving the development and application of topological data analysis to improve existing data science techniques and solve real-world problems.
- Strathclyde strides ahead in innovative medicines manufacturing
Long before COVID-19 exploded across the globe, the world of pharmaceuticals was transforming. Medicines’ journey from bench to bedside had to change in response to new pressures and possibilities on the one hand, an ageing population, rising healthcare costs and the increasing importance of environmental sustainability; on the other, exciting opportunities are being developed in western Scotland in personalised medicines and patient-centric healthcare.
- Powering the future of offshore wind farms
Supported by EPSRC, computer modelling and stratified-flow wind-tunnel simulation is being used for the first time to improve the efficiency, reliability and operational life of large offshore wind farms.
- Paving the way for self-sufficient buildings
EPSRC funded project is developing low-cost solar technologies that can make buildings energy self-sufficient.
- Building a resilient cyber secure future
Cybersecurity trailblazer Centre for Secure Information Technologies at Queen’s University Belfast has sparked the emergence of a thriving local hotbed of cybersecurity excellence with a rising global profile.
- New research to boost digital revolution and keep us safe online
Six new centres across the UK will lead world-leading, innovative research to allow citizens across the country to grasp the possibilities of the digital revolution, while addressing key challenges to their online safety and privacy.
- UKRI funds COVID-19 projects on spread and control on public transport
A project has been launched to understand the risk of COVID-19 transmission in public transport and identify the best measures to control it.
- New fund launched to revolutionise asthma technology
A new fund, launched today, aims to support the development of innovative, life-changing new asthma technologies.
- New grants to boost early-stage maths idea generation and research
A new initiative launched today will provide mathematical sciences researchers with greater agility for early-stage idea generation and initial research through small funding grants.
- Building a diverse and inclusive research environment
The UK’s engineering and physical sciences community is being encouraged to take part in a series of surveys to inform plans to foster a diverse and inclusive research environment.
- Update on the EPSRC review of Support for Doctoral Education
Following the launch of the Engineering and Physical Sciences Research Councils's (EPSRC) review of Support for Doctoral Education, two phases of engagement have taken place.
- EPSRC seeks applicants for Strategic Advisory Network
EPSRC are recruiting new members to the Strategic Advisory Network (SAN). The Strategic Advisory Network (SAN) provides the EPSRC Executive with advice and guidance on EPSRC policy development at a cross-cutting level.
- First look at new £105 million Henry Royce Institute Hub Building
The Henry Royce Institute for advanced materials research and innovation celebrated a key milestone earlier this year ahead of the new national hub becoming fully operational in 2021.
- Walk-through cancer diagnosis and robotic muscles among ground-breaking new projects
Walk-through scanners to map the human body and identify cancers, and robotic muscles to aid the recovery of stroke sufferers are among the visionary research projects announced today.