EPSRC Science Photo Competition 2015
Share your photos to support excellence and promote the benefits of outstanding UK engineering and physical sciences.
The overall winner of the competition will be awarded £500 worth of camera / photography equipment. A prize of £150 worth of camera / photography equipment will also be awarded to the winner of each category. Runners up in second and third place of each category will receive £25.00 worth of camera / photography equipment. All winning images will also be featured in EPSRC's Pioneer Magazine and other EPSRC publications. The value of prizes may be increased dependant on sponsorship.
What are we looking for?
The EPSRC Photo Competition is an event for all EPSRC-supported researchers and EPSRC-supported doctoral students to share their research using images.
We are looking for images that will demonstrate research in action.
- People – Images of people working as part of your research team, taking part in or affected by your research.
- Weird and wonderful – Unusual, eye-catching and bizarre images arising from your research
- Eureka – Images that reflect new discoveries and understanding arising from your research and the processes involved in achieving them.
- Innovation – Images of research that have inspired innovation or are related to commercial breakthroughs.
- Equipment – Images of the equipment, facilities and tools used in your research.
Entrants are permitted to submit the same image into a maximum of three categories.
Image examples could include but are not restricted to:
- Research equipment
- Research subject
- Research environment (eg lab or field work)
- Combination of all or any of the above
Images should be submitted electronically by attaching them to the EPSRC Science Photo Competition 2015 submission form.
Please include a title for the image and submit a jargon-free extended caption (maximum 150 words) putting the research into context. The caption must be comprehensible to the lay reader and will be taken into consideration by the judges when making their decision.
- A maximum of three images per person can be submitted.
- Images should be a minimum of 5MB and maximum of 25MB and in a digital format a minimum of 300dpi (eg jpg).
- Winners will be required to submit their winning image in a high-resolution format.
- Images can be downsized for submission but winners will be required to provide a high-resolution version of their submitted image.
- Images that are nominated for a prize in any other major photo competition are not eligible.
- Please read our terms and conditions before entering.
Submission deadline – 19 December 2015
Any queries should be directed to Photocomp@epsrc.ac.uk.
By entering this competition you are deemed to accept these competition rules and the terms and conditions.
Winners will be chosen and announced in February 2016 and announced in March 2016.
Judges will be from chosen from Academia, industry, photo journalism.