Nuclear Energy University Programs (NEUP) US/UK Collaborative Funding Opportunity
- Opening date: 13 August 2018
- Expression of Interest closing date: 19:00 (EST - US time) on 20 September 2018
- Final closing date: 12 noon (UK time) on 13 February 2019
The UKRI Energy Programme, led by EPSRC, would like to encourage the participation of UK researchers in the current DoE Nuclear Energy University Program (NEUP) programme.
The U.S. Department of Energy's Office of Nuclear Energy created NEUP in 2009 to consolidate its university support under one programme. The UKRI Energy Programme, led by EPSRC, would like to encourage the participation of UK researchers in this programme.
In particular the EPSRC will support the UK component of proposals including US/UK collaboration in only the following areas from Appendix A of the US call document:
- Down-Innovative New Nickel Alloys for Molten Salt Reactor Structural Applications (RC-1)
- Liquid Metal-Cooled Fast Reactor Technology Development and Demonstration to Support Development (RC-3)
- Experimental Validation of High Temperature Gas Reactor (HTGR) (RC-5)
- Special Purpose Reactors R&D (RC-11)
- Materials Recovery (FC-1.2)
Please see the NEUP website for an introduction to the Department's programmes.
Further information on closing dates and the NEUP instructions will be provided ASAP within an updated version of this call document post 13 August 2018.
Proposals should be submitted by the US partner according to NEUP processes. The UKRI Energy Programme will ultimately fund proposals based on the NEUP's funding recommendations.
UK applicants should:
- Engage closely with their US partners when preparing the proposal (this is a US process and US partners understand how best to prepare the bid);
- Contact the EPSRC lead to highlight the intention to submit a proposal (this will ensure that EPSRC is aware of the likely demand through this call and are able to offer advice where required on the application process). Any full proposal submitted to the NEUP will require a letter of support from EPSRC confirming our intention to support the UK component if successful through peer review. Please note we require three days' notice to prepare this letter of support.
- If invited to the full proposal stage applicants will need to include in the documentation a Je-S form and Justification of Resources for the UK elements, these will be submitted through Je-S under the name "UK/US NEUP 2019". Closing date submission of full-applications to Je-S 12 noon (UK time) on 13 February 2019.
UK partners are encouraged to include other UK stakeholders in their proposal as appropriate.
UK applicants wishing to engage in this programme should engage directly with their US partners. There is a deadline for expressions of interest (pre-applications) which are to be submitted by the US partners to the DoE by 19:00 (EST - US time) on 20 September 2018.