Future Manufacturing Systems
EPSRC aims to invest in excellent cross-disciplinary research and networking activities that will drive business innovation or trigger the development of new business models.
Tackling research of this nature requires integrating knowledge and methods from different disciplines and viewpoints, using a real synthesis of approaches. To enable long-term, productive collaborations between researchers from EPS disciplines and beyond, a common understanding of the challenges and their potential solutions needs to be generated.
The aims of this Future Manufacturing Systems call are to:
- Discover potentially disruptive, manufacturing-relevant opportunities from emerging research areas
- Explore future manufacturing systems that might result from such disruptive opportunities
- Initiate new, long-term collaborations between researchers from EPS disciplines and beyond.
The EPSRC Manufacturing the Future Theme will provide up to £12 million (Research Council contribution, not fEC), spread over two streams of funding, to support a portfolio of Future Manufacturing Systems research projects.
- The Discovery stream is aimed at multidisciplinary research projects bringing together two (or more) disciplines, supporting new collaborations in the very early stages of a research idea.
- The Exploratory stream is aimed at interdisciplinary research projects developing a deeper understanding of a research idea, supporting interdisciplinary research teams to push collaboration and fusion of the research approaches towards a transdisciplinary approach.
Please note: The two streams follow different application processes. Please ensure that you are reading the correct call document for the stream you considering. Both streams do require you to complete an intent to submit form before 16.00 Hours on 10 September 2019.