EPSRC is committed to transformative research and the benefits it can bring and has developed a number of different approaches to support and enable researchers to express and develop their creative and transformative ideas. Our IDEAS Factory includes details on these different approaches and how these can help to lead to new innovative approaches to stimulate curiosity and exploration.
What is transformative research?
Transformative research is defined as research that has the capability to:
- Revolutionise existing fields
- Create new subfields
- Cause paradigm shifts
- Support discovery
- Lead to radically new technologies
Within EPSRC our aims are:
- To infuse and embed transformative research values throughout EPSRC and the community we support
- To support and enable researchers to express and develop their creative and potentially transformative ideas
- To develop new innovative approaches to stimulate curiosity and exploration
- To demonstrate our impact
- To build a network of supporters that include advocates, stakeholders and key individuals.