Interaction with UK regions
We are committed to ensuring that the outcomes of our research investment help maintain the UK's research capability at an internationally competitive level. The most effective way of achieving this, alongside our commitment to peer review, is to ensure that we retain a national perspective.
However, these national goals for the UK's science and engineering base are not contrary to regional needs and priorities. The government strategy paper Investing in Innovation argues that
wherever research and development activity takes place, it has the potential to contribute directly to regional economic development as well as innovation at the national level.
Recognising this, we are placing increasing importance on developing and strengthening its relationships with developed administrations and the English regions.
We have a common cause with the regions in helping to ensure that universities can play a full role in contributing to national and regionally based innovation.
Opportunities include research, infrastructure, research careers, postgraduate training, knowledge transfer, liaison and information sharing and staff interchange.
We can offer:
- Investment through our portfolio of research projects and postgraduate training.
- Joint action where the research we support engages directly with regional priorities, with opportunities for formal partnership.
- Knowledge - contacts, knowledge and understanding of industrial sectors and universities.
- Flexible processes and funding
- Information on the research we fund through our grants database.