Lead agency agreement with Science Foundation Ireland
EPSRC and Science Foundation Ireland (SFI) have entered an agreement to welcome, encourage and support research applications that cut across national boundaries involving collaborative teams led by researchers from the UK and Ireland. The new partnership will support joint research and technology development in all areas of EPSRC's remit.
Under the lead agency agreement, a single joint proposal from applicants in both countries is submitted to EPSRC and processed according to EPSRC's standard peer review procedures. Successful UK-based research groups will be funded by EPSRC and Republic of Ireland (ROI)-based research groups will be funded by SFI.
Joint applications to this programme will be accepted at any time. Joint applications should follow standard EPSRC format, but applicants should review the following guidance documentation carefully for specific instructions regarding additional information and documentation that must be included.
An overview of the application procedure is given below.
Prior to submission
EPSRC will accept joint applications for Standard Research Grants at any time; however, potential applicants to the joint EPSRC-SFI funding opportunity should submit an Expression of Interest using the form below a minimum of three months prior to the planned submission date to allow EPSRC and SFI to ensure that applicants meet their respective funding organisations' eligibility requirements and that the proposed research falls within their remits. Please see the guidance document for details of what must be submitted at this stage.
Submission of joint proposal
- Full proposals will only be accepted with prior agreement of EPSRC and SFI following the submission of an Expression of Interest.
- Except where indicated otherwise, joint applications should follow standard EPSRC format; no additional pages will be permitted.
- The title of all applications submitted under this partnership must begin with "EPSRC-SFI:"
- A single joint proposal should be submitted to EPSRC via Je-S with the UK applicants designated as Principal and Co-Investigators and the ROI applicants designated as project partners. Please ensure that you include the applicant track record and scientific case for both components of the project in your case for support.
- A section on the ROI applicant(s) must be included in the Track Record section of the Case for Support document.
- The total direct costs requested by the ROI applicants from SFI should be included in the Je-S form as a cash project-partner contribution. A maximum request of €500,000 direct costs will apply to the total ROI budget. An additional contribution to overhead costs will also be made by SFI.
- The Justification of Resources document must include a section on the costs requested by the ROI-based research groups, making it clear which costs will be funded by SFI and which costs will be funded by EPSRC if the application is successful.
- The SFI Application Form and associated documents described in the guidance documentation must be included in the Je-S submission as a single PDF attachment. This document should be submitted as attachment type ‘Other Attachment' (not seen by reviewers and panel members).
- Details of all requirements for submitting a full proposal under this agreement may be found in the guidance document below.
- Standard eligibility criteria apply for EPSRC applicants.
- To receive support from SFI, the ROI partner(s) must be based at an institution eligible for SFI support. Full details can be found in the guidance documentation.
Queries regarding the submission of proposals through Je-S should be directed to the Je-S Helpdesk: 01793 444164 - JeSHelp@rcuk.ac.uk