EPSRC is committed to following the Joint Research Council Environmental Policy Statement which calls for:
- compliance with all relevant legislation.
- minimise the adverse impacts of new buildings and refurbishments.
- make efficient use of natural resources.
- operate effective arrangements for waste disposal and recycling.
- promote effective environmental supply management.
- work with staff to promote more economic forms of transport.
- provide appropriate information and training to new staff.
EPSRC attends the cross-Research Council Environmental Group which meets quarterly to discuss the environmental issues that affect Polaris House. Polaris House has ISO 14001 accreditation for the control of the impact to the environment of all the activities conducted on the Polaris House site. In order to satisfy and maintain the required standards a number of environmental targets and impacts have been agreed for review, assessment and improvement. These are:
- Waste Reduction.
- Landscaping Enhancement.
- Green Purchasing;
- Reduction of CO2 /energy emissions.
- Green Transport.
Environmental issues are communicated to all staff through the cross-Research Council Environmental Awareness newsletter.