Mission and vision
Our mission is to:
- Promote and support, by any means, high quality basic, strategic and applied research and related postgraduate training in engineering and the physical sciences.
- Advance knowledge and technology (including the promotion and support of the exploitation of research outcomes), and provide trained scientists and engineers, which meet the needs of users and beneficiaries (including the chemical, communications, construction, electrical, electronic, energy, engineering, information technology, pharmaceutical, process and other industries), thereby contributing to the economic competitiveness of Our United Kingdom and the quality of life.
In relation to the activities above, as engaged in by the Council and in such manner as the Council may see fit, to:
- Generate public awareness
- Communicate research outcomes
- Encourage public engagement and dialogue
- Disseminate knowledge
- Provide advice
Our vision is for the UK to be the best place in the world to research, discover and innovate.
Our vision is supported by two goals:
- Research and Discover - For the UK to be positioned as an international research leaders, where discovery thrives and our support generates the highest quality research in engineering and the physical sciences.
- Research and Innovate - For the UK's excellent research base and talented researchers to work with us to accelerates innovation for the benefit of society and the economy.
To achieve our goals we will use three strategies:
- Balancing Capability
- Building Leaderships
- Accelerating Impact
The Engineering and Physical Sciences Research Council is at the heart of discovery and innovation. Our research saves lives, creates prosperity, protects the environment and inspires future generations.